A Camborne man was hospitalised on New Years Day when his Selfie Stick was struck by lightning!
Malcolm Rosevear of Pengegon was on Carn Brea taking photos when the incident happened.
A passer by said “I was walking my dog when I saw matey standing on a rock with his phone on a stick! I realised it was one of those bleddy Selfie Sticks I saw on the Tele. I thought to myself “What a silly twat stood there with his phone on a stick, he’s gonna have someone’s eye out with that.” then all of a sudden there was a flash and a bolt lightning hit the stick. The lightning went down his arm and I saw a spark fly out his ass! It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. I reckon there was a lot of built up gas from all the food he’d eaten over Christmas and the lightning set him off like a rocket!”
Edward Truscot who owns a local market stall called – E.T. Sells Phones said “Selfie Sticks are the latest must have gadget of 2015. It consists of a telescopic pole that the user attaches to their phone, allowing them to take a photo using a small remote control. This allows them to get more into the shot! One safety issue that hasn’t been addressed is that holding a long metal pole in an open space is an accident waiting to happen and it is no surprise Malcolm Popped off like that! Let’s just be thankful the silly bugger wasn’t at a petrol station when the lightning struck!”
A doctor at Treliske Hospital in Truro said “Malcolm is completely recovered. His only concern at the moment is getting his phone back so he can post the photo on Facebook.”